Online History Bowl
April 20 @ 11:00 am - 6:00 pm EDT
The Online History Bowl, a competition for students in 8th grade and younger only, will be held on Saturday, April 20, 2024. This tournament will run on a modified version of the Varsity / JV C Set, and is open to teams that have not yet played any version (either the original or modified) of C Set.
1. This tournament is open to Middle and Elementary School students only who have not played both question sets. If a team has played the History Bowl C Set already, then they cannot attend this tournament, but are encouraged to compete at the online Academic Bowl on March 30.
2. This tournament will feature two age divisions: Middle School (students in 8th grade and younger) and Intermediate (students in 6th grade and younger). Within each age division, we will also have different competitions for teams where all competing students attend the same school or homeschool association (Standard) and teams where students either attend two different schools / homeschool associations of any kind, or teams where all students attend all schools within the same school district (Open). To clarify, teams with students who attend 3 or more different schools are only permitted if all of these schools are within the same school district, but teams of students at two different schools are permitted to attend in any case. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about this rule.
3. History Bowl is a team event, but solo and two student teams are not only encouraged to play, but play for discounted rates.
4. There are also discounted rates for teams where all students on a team have registered for at least one Regional Finals of either the National History Bee, National Geography Bee, or National Science Bee. If you wish to take advantage of these rates, but don’t yet have all students registered for a tournament, first, make sure that all students have qualified through the Online Regional Qualifying Exams (sign up for a sponsor account at www.iac-exams.com to be able to give students the free ORQEs), and then register for the tournament(s) of your choice by clicking on the event you wish to attend here.
5. Up to 6 students can play together on a team, but only up to 4 players play at once. Unlimited substitutions are allowed during the quarter breaks and between rounds.
6. To qualify for Nationals in the History Bowl and Academic Bowl, teams must finish with at least a .500% winning percentage, or be in the top 50% of teams in their age division. Teams of students entirely in 5th grade and younger only need to finish in either the top 50% of the full intermediate division (including teams with students in 6th grade), or among the top 50% of teams with all students in 5th grade or younger. Teams can also qualify for Nationals by having at least one student compete in the National History Bee National Championships (for the History Bowl) or at least one student in any of the National History Bee, National Geography Bee, or National Science Bee for the Academic Bowl.
7. The cost schedule is as follows:
Full team: $90
Two-student team: $75
Solo-student team: $60
Full team with all team members participating in at least one IAC Regional Finals: $60
Two-student team with both team members participating in at least one IAC Regional Finals: $50
Solo-student team with student participating in at least one IAC Regional Finals: $40
Schedule of Events – All Times are Eastern
10:00am – 3:00pm History Bowl Rounds 1-5
4:30pm – 8:30pm History Bowl Playoffs
Teams Attending (* = Intermediate Division [i.e. all students in 6th grade or younger])
- Trinity School of Durham and Chapel Hill, NC A
- Trinity School of Durham and Chapel Hill, NC B
- Trinity School of Durham and Chapel Hill, NC C
- Trinity School of Durham and Chapel Hill, NC D *