2021 Individual National Championships Registration (Updated 7/20)
Events in the Elementary division (grades 5 and younger) will be fully online along with our Varsity division. Grades 6, 7, 8, and Junior Varsity will all remain in-person at the Crystal Gateway Marriott in Arlington, Virginia. Please note that these divisions are based on Grade level for the 2020-21 academic year, and therefore include students who will be entering grades 7-11 in the fall of 2021.
All events require prior qualification for participation, with the following exceptions:
- The National Humanities Bee is open to any Elementary or Middle School student who wishes to compete in that event.
- The Elementary and Middle School divisions of the US History Bee are available to any student who has qualified for Nationals in the National History Bee.
If you are unsure as to whether you have qualified, please email email@example.com before registering. If you register and are not qualified, a $10 processing fee will apply when issuing your refund.
The schedule of events (revised July 20, 2021) can be downloaded here. If you have any questions about this, please email firstname.lastname@example.org before registering.
Registration and Payment Deadlines
Registration for all National Championship events will close Monday, August 23 at 11:59 pm Eastern Time. Any payments made by check must be received by Monday, August 30 or a late payment fee of $35 will be applied and must be paid on-site before the student will be allowed to compete.
All in-person competitions will be taking place at the Crystal Gateway Marriott in Arlington, Virginia. Reservations at our group rate of $129 – $139 per night can be made here. The group rate is not guaranteed for reservations made after Friday, August 13. You do not need to book directly through this link, and may be able to find a lower rate directly through Marriott’s website.
Refunds requested before the registration deadline will be issued minus a $10 processing fee per transaction. After the registration deadline has passed, we are not able to offer refunds.
COVID-19 Policies (Updated July 20)
1. IAC strongly recommends that eligible individuals receive the COVID-19 vaccination in accordance with current guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Additionally, we recommend that all participants undergo testing before and after travel in accordance with federal, state, local, and/or tribal guidelines.
2. All students and parents will be required to wear face masks throughout the tournament when in public areas and competition rooms (regardless of vaccination status), and there will be limits on the number of permitted spectators in certain competition rooms to ensure adequate social distancing.
3. All events will use the COBA-cc online buzzer system. Students competing at the Crystal Gateway Marriott will be able to use either their own device or may use an IAC-provided tablet for the duration of the tournament at no additional charge. This means that students will not be using shared buzzer systems and will enable us to better enforce social distancing in the competition rooms.
4. All individuals present in Arlington for Nationals will be required to provide information for contact tracing, regardless of vaccination status. We will begin collecting this information for registrants once registration is closed, and will require that all information is received before students may begin competing in any in-person venue. This applies equally to participants staying at the Crystal Gateway Marriott and elsewhere.
5. All IAC staff are/will be fully vaccinated in accordance with CDC guidelines. Moderators will be seated at an adequate distance to allow them to read without a face mask during competition rounds. Students will not need to remove face masks when answering questions.
Please select the registration form that corresponds with your division and preferred method of payment. All grade levels listed below are for the 2020-21 school year.