Varsity and Junior Varsity Updates
IAC will resume in-person Varsity & Junior Varsity regional tournaments on Saturday, October 30 with registration available beginning Monday, September 27.
Effective October 1, 2021, please note the following rule changes for Varsity and Junior Varsity students:
- All Bee rounds will consist of 35 tossups, with students earning bonus points after their 8th correct answer. This rule applies to all Varsity and Junior Varsity Bee matches at regional and state tournaments as well as preliminary rounds of all Varsity and Junior Varsity Bee events at Nationals. Playoff matches at Nationals will continue to use IAC Championship Match scoring (6/5/4/3/-2/-1).
- All Varsity and Junior Varsity costs for the 2021-22 season can be found here for regional and state tournaments and here for Nationals.
Additionally, IAC will be organizing online regional tournaments for interested students and teams on both the C Set and B Set. The dates of the C Set online tournament (History Bee and History Bowl) will be announced next week when regional tournament registration opens. The dates of the B Set online tournament (History Bowl, History Bee, and Geography Bee) will be announced later this fall. IAC has not yet made any decisions regarding an A Set online tournament.
Elementary and Middle School Updates
Sponsor registration is now open for the 2021-22 competition season at orqe.iac-exams.com. Please note that both the intramural questions (for auditorium-style events) and the exams themselves will not be available until Monday, September 27.
Effective October 1, 2021, please note the following rule changes and event structure changes for Elementary and Middle School students:
- IAC Regional Finals events will consist solely of the National History Bee, International Geography Bee, and National Science Bee beginning in the 2021-22 season.
- IAC will not be organizing any US Academic Bee and Bowl regional-level tournaments, though these will both be open to students competing in other events at the 2022 National Championships.
- Playoff matches at Nationals will continue to use IAC Championship Match scoring (6/5/4/3/-2/-1). All matches at Regional Finals and all preliminary matches at Nationals will continue to use standard Bee scoring.
- Qualification for the Elementary and Middle School division of the National History Bee, International Geography Bee, and National Science Bee is now solely based on the ORQE/Regional Finals process, and students cannot use a Junior Varsity qualification to “qualify down” to the Elementary and Middle School level.
- Regional Finals for the National History Bee, International Geography Bee, and National Science Bee will cost $45 per student per event. All Elementary and Middle School costs for the 2022 National Championships can be found here.
Additionally, IAC will be organizing an online option for Regional Finals in the spring (during the regular Regional Finals season). More information will be announced later this fall, along with the dates and locations of in-person Regional Finals events.
2022 Championship Tournaments
The dates for the 2022 National Championships, International History Olympiad, and International Geography Championships can all be found below for planning purposes. The event schedules for both National Championships have not yet been published, and IAC advises against making any travel arrangements for those events at this time.
- April 21-24: Varsity & Junior Varsity National Championships (Crystal Gateway Marriott | Arlington, Virginia)
- June 17-20: Elementary and Middle School National Championships (Hyatt Regency Orlando | Orlando, Florida)
- July 25 – August 1: International History Olympiad (Université Laval | Quebec City, Canada)
- August 2-9: International Geography Championships (Université Laval | Quebec City, Canada)